Marth's Anime Blog

Youjo Senki Episode 5: Evil announcer voice

Well, that episode got more laughs out of me than I was expecting from a show like this. The episode definitely had its high moments, but I think overall I'm still skeptical. It depends heavily on how things develop from here. I find it hard to believe that Dakia, an invading army, is so technologically inferior and still in any way viable.

The predictable outcome of this episode is that Tanya once again gets commended for her service and unnecessarily promoted, but I'm not a fan of that because it doesn't properly explain Dakia. I'd say my preferred outcome would be that Tanya gets severely reprimanded for breaking some treaty or invoking the wrath of some bigger nation. That still isn't perfect because you'd expect Tanya to know these kinds of rules, given how much she gets annoyed at her underlings, but it at least gives some reasoning for Dakia's existence.

I'm not sure what this has to do with magical ability, but sure...seems like a reasonable test.

Welcome to boot camp!

Haha having Viktoriya do this in the background was perfect.

I know there's no way that Tanya planned this, but it's still funny that these guys screwed themselves over with the avalanche.

These people were crazy enough to answer your ad and you're surprised they wouldn't lose resolve here? They signed up for a suicide mission for glory, after all.

As we're about to find out, the Dakian Army is stuck in colonial times, which is a huge step down in technology. I'm surprised that Tanya wouldn't know this.

Yeesh...this is a massacre.

You of all people shouldn't be saying that, Tanya.

A soldier actually yells this in combat...

Well, while we're here, we might as well just capture everything. I like the way Tanya thinks.

Haha okay, I did not see that coming.

Posted in: Youjo Senki

magic war evil

• Karandi

Feb. 4, 2017, 6:14 p.m.

Has this show given any hint as to its end game yet? I mean, watching Tanya go through all of this is one thing, but what is the overall plan?

Feb. 4, 2017, 6:21 p.m.

so, it sounds like Tanya's overall plan is to secure the good life so she can live in this world in peace, but i dunno where the show itself is headed

Karandi

Feb. 6, 2017, 2:40 a.m.

Securing the good life in a war torn country? She'll be hoping.

Feb. 6, 2017, 6:17 a.m.

yeah, ive been wondering why she chooses to go into the military for this

• Azure Dragon

Feb. 4, 2017, 6:49 p.m.

You must not know your WWI history if you are confused why Dakia was so unprepared. Dakia was a typical WWI army totally clueless on how to conduct modern combat. Even so nations could afford to be horribly inept due to their vast human and material resources so they could replace losses by the millions.

Feb. 4, 2017, 7:32 p.m.

well, you're right...i know very little about WWI history. i was mostly surprised because i hadnt seen any indication of a particularly large military size, but it could very well have been a material advantage.

Azure Dragon

Feb. 6, 2017, 7:49 p.m.

Well basically due to the dawn of the modern age nations could now afford to have incompetent people in leadership positions without losing horribly like in the past. In older times if you lost 100 to 1 soldiers you would lose the war almost right away. But now due to large population, advanced agriculture, and industrialization now nations had vastly higher amounts of resources that they could throw away. In WWI it took a long time for leaders to realize how to fight correctly but by then millions of people had died. Losing a million men could be shrugged off without too big of an impact.

Feb. 6, 2017, 9:52 p.m.

cool. i didnt realize that was around the time for that to be a factor. it's a pity that a lot of connections like this get lost in historical shows like this.