Marth's Anime Blog

Youjo Senki Episode 2: Maybe god needs a hug

So this week's episode takes a step back to show us the setup to the story we were missing in the first episode. I don't think that this is a particularly bad approach, to be honest. I'd say this episode does a decent job of introducing Tanya. Her behavior makes a lot more sense now. I think we're still missing a step, though, to explain the prayer-like incantations she was using the first episode, but that's probably saved for next week. The premise still seems a little flawed for me, but I'll give the series some time to figure that out.

I know that the first episode established this guy as evil and he introduces himself in this episode by saying that he's got mental complexes or whatever, but I side with him so far. He follows the rules of the company even if he doesn't fully like them, so I don't see why he's in any way responsible for firing the other guy. This other guy literally kills the messenger. How about do your job, dude?

This line of logic probably could have been fleshed out a bit more, but I agree with the basic concept that a god that is always good is irrational.

And yet, I'm going to take extra time to deal with you in particular.

While I don't particularly mind this petty god because it's a reasonable personality for him/her to have, I'm apprehensive of the ending that they're trying to set up. Plus, what does this god even want from the main character at this point? For him to say "okay, I believe in you"? If he were truly as rational as he claims to be, he has already accepted that because of the proof the god has shown him. Why not do this with all of the non-believers if you're so pissed off?

I wonder if we'll ever get an explanation for why Tanya has such high magical power...

I had the same thought in the first episode...this really does feel out of character for Tanya.

She's kinda out in the open, isn't she?

Why would you think this?

Is there ever going to be a decent fight that isn't Tanya just charging into a company of enemies alone?

You fought like 8 guys by yourself and you're surprised that the commanding officers were impressed? Are you sure you're actually a smart person?

Haha nice.

• Nightsworn

Jan. 14, 2017, 4:37 p.m.

The last screenshot... I finally remembered what it was reminding me of... D: *tries to purge mind of visual kei forever*

Jan. 14, 2017, 4:50 p.m.

what's that? D: tell me more!

Nightsworn

Jan. 14, 2017, 5:04 p.m.

Run while you still can! Before they get you D:

• Karandi

Jan. 14, 2017, 4:46 p.m.

This seems a bit more interesting than last week. I'm still not going to pick this show up at the moment but I'm interested to see what happens next so I'll look forward to your next write up on it.

Jan. 14, 2017, 4:50 p.m.

they're still kinda setting up, so im still looking out for the general point of the show

• Dangerism

Jan. 16, 2017, 10:36 a.m.

"explanation for why Tanya has such high magical power..."
    I posted something similar on RandomC. The basic gist is since salaryman was such a firm believer in science and logic, he was reincarnated to be in the opposite end of the spectrum, because god had a wry sense of humour.

Jan. 16, 2017, 12:54 p.m.

that's a cool way to think about it...makes a lot of sense. this god is still pretty strange and inconsistent to me, but at least that's a good explanation

• fantasy-magician

March 25, 2017, 9:18 a.m.

She was born with high magical aptitude... the reason why is already summarized by Tanya herself 'She has no other choice' and this is most likely what Being X wanted. It's the age of conscription so with her status as orphan, Tanya has no way to get away from that. Her orphanage is also poor and it's just about time she would starve and thus... she land herself on the first job she could get which won't care she is underaged or a girl. Also, with volunteering she would get a better course of career, that's how Empire army works.
    So yeah... the reason is so she would get involved in war.

March 25, 2017, 9:36 a.m.

it just makes it feel like Being X is only interested in forcing Tanya to experience "danger", rather than "suffering", which doesn't seem as effective.

fantasy-magician

March 26, 2017, 7:37 a.m.

Anime screw up with portrayal of Being X a bit, making him a unreasonably petty entity who wants to make Tanya believe in him at all cost...
    Actually he is more interested in 'spread God's words' than 'believe in me' from Tanya. He is making a Jeanne d'arc out of her actually... if Tanya become his believer, it's a bonus...

March 26, 2017, 8:32 a.m.

yeah, i definitely saw him as exceptionally petty in the anime. i didnt get any sense of that "spread the word" intention while i was watching.