Marth's Anime Blog

Tales of Zestiria the X Episode 13: So that's what a bishop does

Alright, we're back with the second season. For me in particular, this season is uncharted waters, so I guess this is the season without many game references. This episode didn't really feel all too special for me, but I guess we're getting into Rose as a character. It's a bit confusing for me because this probably doesn't happen until after she joins the group officially in the game. So to me, it's like we've skipped a step.

The first half of the episode felt like a lot of down time. It was like it was intended to beat into our heads the fact that Rose is a generally nice person to everyone in Romance as well as a calculating businesswoman. They really wanted to push the point for the purposes of the second half of the episode where they remind you "hey, this girl's an assassin!"

Final side note: Is it wrong for me to hope that the Velvet cameo in the opening means that we're getting another Berseria interlude?

If this mini-monologue is the only indication we get that this is technically a second season rather than a continuation, then I really don't have any complaints.

Small nod to the game here. These herbs are all consumables in the game that increase stats.

Shiny...

They're trying to explain it in the scene, but I still don't understand why this is effective training for fighting against the Malevolence.

Wait, people can see the fire and water thing? I'm with Rose...market that.

Run that by me again?

Yeah, yeah, everyone loves Rose. Can we get back to what Mayvin said about being over 100 years old? The scene where everyone was clamoring over Rose was enough to show us how much she's liked...giving Lailah this line is going overboard.

So...we're not supposed to like this guy?

This defuses the situation...somehow.

This kinda suggests that the previous Shepherd was corrupted or something. Honestly, this guy sounds like a more interesting protagonist than Sorey.

Sucks to be that guy.

These are still awesome, but why does Sorey know anything about spices?

• Flow

Jan. 10, 2017, 4:25 p.m.

Thanks for watching it! It means that I can skip it, right? :D

Jan. 10, 2017, 5:07 p.m.

no? why would you do that? there might be more berseria!

• Karandi

Jan. 10, 2017, 5:10 p.m.

I thought Rose could see it because she was sensitive or whatever, then again I've never played the games and the anime does tend to skip over explaining things sometimes (explains other things needlessly). I did want to know more about the previous shepherd after this episode.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I'm looking forward to seeing what you have to say as the season progresses.

Jan. 10, 2017, 5:14 p.m.

in the game, Rose could only see after she entered a contract with Sorey (just like Alisha did). that's why she can't see Dezel, who's been stalker following her up to now. that previous shepherd sounded like he had much more interesting questions about his role in the world than Sorey does...

Karandi

Jan. 11, 2017, 8:37 p.m.

Ah, thanks for the clarification around Rose. I sometimes wonder if she can see Lailah and the others because it looks like she can but then she never directly speaks to them so I guess not. The anime hasn't been overly clear.

Jan. 11, 2017, 9:25 p.m.

at this point, she really shouldnt be able to see anyone. it's weird because i think she gains the ability to see them pretty quickly after joining in the game, so i sometimes dont really think about that either

• Nightsworn

Jan. 10, 2017, 5:49 p.m.

"Honestly, this guy sounds like a more interesting protagonist than Sorey." Agreed D:

More Berseria? Woooo!

Jan. 10, 2017, 6:42 p.m.

there's no way he's....right? D:

just speculation D:

Nightsworn

Jan. 10, 2017, 7:06 p.m.

Definitely not. *nods* That would be...

If we get to the final episode and there has been no more Berseria, I will drop the show out of spite. D: