Danganronpa Episode 2: Today I learned blood is pink...is this paintball?

Oh...so they have to kill people without being caught? Why didn't they just say so? That makes things totally different. So the first death is Maizono...that kinda disappoints me. I looked forward to how insane she got. Of course, I always suspect that first to die is somehow involved, but they've beaten to the ground pretty hard that she's dead, so I dunno. I mean...it makes sense, right? She suspiciously changed her room right before dying...sounds like a scheme of some sorts. My initial suspicion was that the model girl was the culprit because of how they seemed to try to take focus off of her...but then she got herself skewered by Monokuma. Sigh...so much for that theory.

Now I have to suspect someone else. If we assume that the swap was intended to make Makoto the suspect, then we have to conclude that whoever was at her door was the culprit. This rules out the absurdly large one, who is also the most obvious suspect. The first thing I always do when I see a number code is turn it upside down...with 11037, the closest one is Leon. There's probably another meaning to it that I'm missing. Next, we have the glass fragments...they look like the remnants of some sort of glass orb...the kind a fortuneteller would have, which implicates Yasuhiro. Either way, I'm counting on this first trial to set the stage for the rest of the show. I need to understand how they think. Also, did they change the opening song? I feel like I would have noticed if the song had been a straight-up rap song.

• Sjcman

July 18, 2013, 1:45 a.m.

Its probably as simple as it sounds. It is likely Leon

July 18, 2013, 6:28 a.m.

but that was the most obvious clue! the burnt uniform fragment! the glass orb!

• Sjcman

July 18, 2013, 8:14 a.m.

the glass orb could have broken in a million different ways, but im not sure it has anything to do with the murder for several reasons.

1. The trash room is supposed locked during Night Time right?
    2. Why would the fortune teller take the glass orb with him? Makes no sense. He has to carry the lock picks, a knife, and then he also picked up the sword in Naegi's room. The ball would be an extreme inconvenience.

If anything it is possible the murderer used that to throw them off. However, it could just be due to the guy being a klutz and dropping it. He doesn't exactly seem like the brightest bulb in the shed.

In addition, the burnt uniform fragment could belong to anyone so that doesn't point to anyone conclusively either way. It would be unreasonable to assume that the shattered ball and uniform were left there at the same time.

A dying message is the most obvious clue but again is the most telling. This in addition to the fact that the MC did not notice it (along with other oblivious characters which we can assume due to them all suspect Naegi) means that it will be the revealing clue, likely revealed by the purple hair girl (only one that seems to know what's going down).

July 18, 2013, 8:48 a.m.

1. well, the students' rooms are supposed to be locked too, right?
    2. it's possible that the orb is linked in some way to his abilities or maybe the orb is some sort of keepsake that he likes to have on his person

the theory was just a possibility, but if we follow it, I would conclude that the scene played out something like this: after killing Maizono, the guy goes to the trash room to burn his blood-stained uniform...it's possible that in the blaze, he doesn't notice dropping the orb...upon leaving the room, he realizes, but it's getting late and the room has been re-locked...I'd have to recheck the first episode to confirm some of my assumptions for this, though.

dying messages are also pretty easy to fake...especially ones that so obviously point to someone

• Sjcman

July 18, 2013, 8:17 a.m.

also regarding the glass ball, no evidence of it was left in the room which is hard to believe given the state of the rest of the room.

• Sjcman

July 18, 2013, 1:22 p.m.

1. Actually the student are suppose to lock the rooms and even then Monobear gave them lock picks so this is irrelevant.

2. Kind of a stretch but nothing conclusive to rule it out.

If this were a more complex mystery Id agree with you but this is the opening mystery so while its obv to us viewers, remember no character in the series figured it out and assumed it was a number. Oblivious characters ftl. My only qualm with this theory was if Maizono was smart enough to leave a coded message like that.

July 18, 2013, 2:14 p.m.

it does seem odd that she would leave a message like that unless she was confident someone could interpret it correctly

• asdfghjkl

July 18, 2013, 4:57 p.m.

the number...the number marth,they are the key to everyth....