Psycho Pass Episode 12

Kinda surprised to get a background episode after the break. Oh well...I realize I know nothing about Yayoi, so it works. I suppose Kogami was testing Yayoi to see if she'd be able to pull the trigger to stop people that she potentially knew and cared for (he was aware that she used to play in that area after all). If so, that's pretty cool of him...I guess he was a pretty sweet Inspector back in the day.

New opening theme is cool...I've liked Nothing's Carved in Stone since I heard their song for Zetsuen. The ending theme is the same artist as the first, but the song is vastly inferior...oh well. I wonder if Rina will return later in the series for Yayoi...she doesn't seem like the type to be working with Makishima. He's more of a lunatic trying to enjoy playing with the Sibyl system while she seems to be trying to fix it for the sake of the people.

• Sjcman

Jan. 10, 2013, 6:39 p.m.

My 2cents.

I sense a time skip coming. This will occur possibly months or weeks after the Makishima incident.

Akane will be in the treatment facility that Yayoi was in getting her psycho-pass and hue treated for the traumatic incident she witnessed.

In the meantime, Makishima will reemerge doing his usual thing this time backing Prophecy (the singing group) as his toys for amusement.

Yayoi will get a chance to re confront the lead singer this time as a true enforcer, and we will see how much each of them has changed.

Alternate theory is that Makishima will intervene and test Yayoi possibly. He may even kill the lead singer just to toy with Kogami and the MWPSB some more. A lot of ways you can go.

I just hope this episode was for a purpose other than just character background. I mean there has to be a reason why they are introducing her now right?

Anyway as for the OP and ED, the OP in both animation and song choice is vastly inferior to Abnormalize imo. The ED is inferior to Namae No Kaibutsu, but was still pretty good. Tbh all of Egoist's music is pretty good.

I don't mind nothing Carved in stone, but the Zetsuen OP was much better than this one.

Jan. 10, 2013, 6:46 p.m.

haha...time skips in this show too? You sure you just don't have too much Shin Sekai?

But I agree that this episode should have a meaning later on in the show...I mean, every character should be important, right? What has she really done before now?

Animation isn't really my concern when it comes to openings, but I agree that it was lacking...probably "lazy" would be a better word. Egoist has great music for sure, but it's definitely not as great as ED1. I'm inclined to agree about Spirit Inspiration as well.

Sjcman

Jan. 10, 2013, 11:04 p.m.

Yea but unlike Shin Sekai, time skips arent used to get around explaining something. They are used for their intended purpose in a 2cour to account for the gap in time between part 1 and part 2.

Ed1 set the bar very high. I mean that song was a top seller in Japan for basically all of the first part of this. I dont think it was less than top 3 before the break and frequently finished at either #2 or #1

The animation for the first part did have symbolic meaning. This just seems like its trying to make psycho-pass seem cooler which it didnt have to do. Its lazy and focuses too much on the action instead of the moral dilemmas and relationships woven by the plot like the first one did. The lyrics for abnormalize were also a much better fit for the show in terms of this and really related to the plot if you paid attention to them.

Just from the op it has already seemed like the quality dropped off from this show, and I am praying to God that is not a sign of things to come. This show has been so good lately and a rare gem among a very average season so far.

I don't think every character has to be important, but she is important because she is unique because she is female. I mean if Makishima is going to kill another enforcer to provoke Akane and Kogami a female is the perfect target, so this background episode would set her up perfectly especially if Makishima kills her or meets her. I mean think about how she froze up the first time when the trigger locked. Imagine if it happened again when she pointed it at Makishima. Makishima would kill her easily due to the psychological shock and this would really get the ball rolling.

Also have you watched Zetsuen No Tempest yet? If not do that and cover it. I have feeling a long freaked post is coming when you do. Inb4 (o goddammit what the fucking bloody hell man. Really I mean really? Are you fucking serious?)

Jan. 10, 2013, 11:19 p.m.

True...but maybe that's why your mind is going to it lol

It totally deserves it...unlike many of the songs on Oricon tbh

yeah...I really don't pay attention to those sorts of things in openings...

there's a whole second half to Zetsuen...I'm already expecting the worst.

Sjcman

Jan. 11, 2013, 12:32 a.m.

Possible, but they used a flashback for this episode so a short-time skip of even a couple of days later wouldnt be out the question given how this episode is a setup point. I see it as more logical then

Eh - I think Egoists overall body of work has been phenomenal. I think you judge them very harshly by comparing their average work, which is still pretty good, to things like the Everlasting Guilty Crown, Namae no Kaibutsu etc... I don't think this new ed is phenomenal, but its a more than adequate replacement for Namae no Kaibutsu. Its a different style, but still good. Namae tho was extremely good and we knew that no replacement was going to match it, but this song is still good tho.

You have the edge with their album as Im not an expert so I will take your word for it when you say that other songs on their average dropped off in quality.

Yea... you kinda should... it really does add to the enjoyment when you notice something cool like that and deepens your ability to understand the plot, and character relationships the show is trying to portray. I mean I could explain abnormalize to you in a way that would really even open your eyes to just how detailed this show was in the first half.

I expect a full rage post for Zetsuen. I cant fucking wait lolololololol.

• Sjcman

Jan. 11, 2013, 11:35 a.m.

I actually do really like the new ED as it fits the slower, darker, more somber pace and atmosphere of the series. Namae was better for the first half because it fit the more action packed nature.