Shin Sekai Yori Episode 14

Just got back from about 24 hours worth of travel, so bear with me if my brain isn't all there yet. Anyway, Saki finds out about Tomiko's true age being ridiculous...interesting that she's grooming Saki to be a successor when she can effectively sustain herself forever. I wonder if she always does this, only to be proven wrong when she ends up outliving them. Anyway, I still don't see what this is all going towards...I also thought the whole speech with Cantus users being effectively limitless weapons was kinda boring (maybe because it seemed obvious to me?).

Next week is more stuff with the bakenezumi. Interesting line in the preview about replacing humans...I wonder if it's another one of those cyclic themes you see a lot in these sorts of things. What I'm saying is that the bakenezumi are a regression of humanity in an attempt to start over, but would eventually go down the same path anyway. Probably not what it is, but a fun idea to think about. Do Saki and Satoru have enough time to be getting sidetracked?

Jan. 5, 2013, 5:39 p.m.

I'm interested in the bakenezumi situation as well, what exactly are they? They look more and more human the more time it passes...:|

• Sjcman

Jan. 5, 2013, 7:02 p.m.

She obviously wants to die (via suicide I suppose since if she stops trying to replicate the teolmeters, she will age normally and die.). I'm sure like any immortal being (C.C., Kiss-Shot-Acerola-Orion-Heart-Under-Blade) living forever aint all its cracked up to be. Altho with Shinobu thats just my guess after watching Nise since even she wanted Kiyomi to kill her.

Anyway getting a bit off track there. However, miss oldest in the town can't die yet because that would be irresponsible in two senses. The first is that the town would have no leader. The second is that the kids she performed experiments on would ultimately be killed.

I have a question though. Two really. Where is this show going? More importantly, Why did we get this back instead of Psycho-pass, Robotic Notes, or Zetsuen No Tempest?

SMH

Jan. 5, 2013, 7:06 p.m.

hmm...so her immortality has gone out of control to the point where she can't control it? Because she made it sound like something she was doing consciously.

Sjcman

Jan. 5, 2013, 8:07 p.m.

No thats not what I meant. She is controlling her immortality,however, she wants to die, but couldnt out of a sense of duty. This ability to repair telomeres is likely a skill that is passed down to a certain type of person in their society. It was passed down to Tomiko because she was like Saki and since Saki is like Tomiko (ie she gets over things fast and can make hard decisions), Tomiko will pass the ability on to her.

Tomiko has probably wanted to die for at least 100 years out of lonliness most likely. She is the only one who has been forced to bear the forbidden knowledge that no one is allowed to know. All of her friends and family and things familiar to her have vanished before her eyes. The only reason she has to live on is a sense of responsibility to the village, but even she realizes that she is living in hell. (I use the same reasoning for Shinobu basically)

So to sum up Tomiko has lived for 267 years

She has watched her friends, family and anything important to her vanish in the river of time causing unbearable loneliness

She wants to die, but cannot because it would leave the village in chaos ie she cannot shirk her responsibility as a leader. She knows this will happen due to seeing fiends, karma demons etc... and other forbidden knowledge (which adds to her loneliness)

She has continued to live beyond her normal lifespan in order to find a successor so she can die without shirking her responsibility. This is the reason for experimenting on Saki and her friends.

After Saki succeeds her, she will likely stop replicating her telomeres allowing herself to age normally and die (essentially suicide) since Im sure she could continue replicating her telomeres and add another 200 years to her lifespan.

Jan. 6, 2013, 12:11 a.m.

hmm...why now, though? I would've thought she would get bored sooner. Unless everything before with karma demons and fiends were also her experiments...

Sjcman

Jan. 6, 2013, 11:19 a.m.

She is going out of her way to protect Saki this much so I am assuming that the reason ould be that Saki has an uncommon child-like resilience that lets her deal with things that other towns people could not. Remember while Saki recovered from her trauma rather quickly she was told that her friends took significantly longer to recover from it. It could be that no one fit enough has shown up until now.