Psycho Pass Episode 11

So that's Makishima's game. He's going to just break her using the system...now Akane's on the path of self-destruction. I was actually wondering if he might do something more like this: His Psycho Pass is actually normal like everyone else's, but he made up this bluff to get Akane to shoot him (but not necessarily kill him) to cloud her own Psycho Pass for shooting someone innocent.

It's close, but I guess it's less personal than his plan. He wants to watch as she tears herself apart from what has happened. Quite a guy...a fitting antagonist. I'm also curious whether he's artificially blocking the Sibyl System or if his story is true and he really doesn't set off the Dominators. I'm leaning towards the second, but you never know with these sly ones.

• Sjcman

Dec. 21, 2012, 6:16 p.m.

Given what we have seen in the series so far, this is what I think.

Makishima is definitely artificially blocking the sybil system. We saw in the factory episode that it was possible to manipulate Hues via emotions and such, but crime coefficient was always the be all end all of everything.

I suppose you could argue that this is one of the flaws of the Sybil System and the existence of Makishima serves to show the exception to the rule from a symbolic sense, but Makishima's smug attitude seems to suggest too much confidence that the Sybil system wouldnt be able to judge him. I hope is his story is true from a symbolic sense though.

I wonder how Akane's mental state and psycho pass will be affected by this.

Makishima is amazingly badass

Dec. 21, 2012, 6:35 p.m.

It becomes a question of whether the show is focusing on the psychology of humans or the implications of the system...either could work.

That confidence could very easily come from a lifetime (20-ish years is a long time) of testing and experience with this phenomenon for all we know.

No kidding, man...

• Sjcman

Dec. 21, 2012, 6:38 p.m.

Agreed but given Makishima's story you infer two possibilities

1. According to this story, his physiology doesnt believe his psychology is wrong which would mean the Sybil System truly cant judge him, but this was disproven in the factory episode by showing an unclouded hue as the man murdered, but the crime coefficient was unchanged.

2. Makishima knows what he is doing is wrong according to the society, which he acknowledges, therefore he knows he is committing a crime and his crime coefficient should go up, but the Sybil System doesnt recognize this because it was interfered with in some way by Makishima.

Dec. 21, 2012, 6:44 p.m.

Human biology can be pretty crazy...I still entertain the possibility that the system just isn't vetted properly. It's a form of artificial intelligence that may not have been trained to handle Makishima's case. That's all conjecture of course, but I see it as a possibility. That's why I don't toss aside Makishima's claims. That aside, he's a very sly dude, so I wouldn't put it past him. My original thought of his plan was that it was a bluff, after all.

Sjcman

Dec. 21, 2012, 9 p.m.

I can't disagree with you but either way we lose out in some sense.

If Makishima can't be judged by the system we gain another little conflict ie the Sybil system vs Society, but we lose continuity (given the factory episode)

If Makishima is faking it then we get Makishima is smart but a mcuh less villainous character.

Dec. 21, 2012, 9:06 p.m.

I guess it's just the question of how much do we really understand the system...but I think either one could go down some interesting routes.