Shin Sekai Yori Episode 8

Theory time...What could be a reason they were left alone for two years? Well, one reason I could think of was that they couldn't do anything...something was stopping them. Well, it could be the power the kids gained somehow (this explains why nothing happens until the "strongest Cantus user" arrives).

Perhaps Shun was the most drastically effected because he was so smart or because he was so powerful...something took hold in him quicker. He's probably even aware of this. I see no reason otherwise why they should go for him first. Since he's the strongest and smartest, he's the most difficult target. Then again, taking him out last would give him time to figure everything out.

I don't know...did something go awry when they regained their mantras? It seems like the quickest conclusion, but it doesn't seem totally right to me. They regained the same mantras...so what could have happened? The sealing itself changed them? Could be, but how could sealing do something to them?

Shun is the first to go, but will he be killed? The preview suggests this, but the fact that it suggests it makes me suspicious. Almost as if he survives somehow...and if he does, will he lead some sort of resistance or become the new evil that threatens the world?

Nov. 17, 2012, 4:35 p.m.

Did you see that eye coming from the egg? What was that?! ç_ç

Nov. 17, 2012, 4:39 p.m.

smirk

Nov. 17, 2012, 4:44 p.m.

cries scared

Moreover, I'm a bit wondering about what will happen to Shun now. Will he disappear from the cast for a while? I heard the novel is split into three volumes...:|

Nov. 17, 2012, 4:59 p.m.

Nah, they are still invulnerable unfortunately for you...looks away

• Sjcman

Nov. 17, 2012, 5:11 p.m.

Here's my theory on why they were left alone.

Research

Why? Shun said that he feels they were being closely watched the whole time so the higher ups were probably observing and seeing if listening to the words of the devil and having their canti being restored without the shame mechanism would have an effect on their return to society ie could the society correct the lack of shame mechanism and make them forget what the devil told them.

I think the reason the strongest one noticed Shun first was because of the task he was doing and how his canti interacts with it. Remember the fundamental of Cantus is to not use it on another living being. However, Shun's task was directly related to influencing the hatching of a chick. Its possible they noticed shun first because he forced the chick to develop and grow via his cantus which violates the fundamental law of cantus.

Since cantus is the power of the gods, the power over life and death isn't too much of a stretch.

AS for why Shun was more drastically affected, it is because of his task more than anything else. Remember for two years he showed no ill effects that we know of, but when he had to use his cantus to "feel the life inside of the egg and get it to hatch" his frustration with the difficult task, the shame mechanism, and his ability to bypass all led to the result (frustration from not hatching the egg leads to debating whether to use cantus to speed it up, which triggers shame mechanism, but because his cantus was improperly restored he can bypass it)

Nov. 17, 2012, 5:14 p.m.

Hah...that's quite a theory. I'd say it makes sense...I guess I don't give the society much credit. I just assume they're stupid, to be honest, so I wouldn't think of that sort of thing...

• Sjcman

Nov. 17, 2012, 5:14 p.m.

Also wtf with only

girl on girl (good) guy on guy (make it go away)

There is no girl on guy here. What gives. Saki's parents seemed normal and these children had to have parents that were straight so what's with only gay/lesbian pairings right now.

Nov. 17, 2012, 5:15 p.m.

I'm choosing to block those parts...just saying >.> Never happened

k

Nov. 18, 2012, 1:46 a.m.

According to certain sources, the society's rules are that het relationships are discouraged before they reach full adulthood, so homo relationships are encouraged instead. (no worries about teen pregnancy!) So there will be boy-girl pairings but after they reach a certain age.

Nov. 18, 2012, 11:46 a.m.

...I don't know how to respond to that