Code Geass: Boukoku no Akito 1

Well, that's one way to start everything. I've been waiting a while for this one...I knew it couldn't possibly live up to the original, but I was hoping it would be a fun experience. And hey, this worked for me. Much of this first episode was an introduction. First, we have our main character Hyuuga Akito, the EU soldier working under Leila Malcal, assuming the commander role. Joining in, we have the squad of Sayama Ryou. Already we have this mystery surrounding Akito. In battle, he's shown with glowing red eyes, indicating a possible power similar to Geass. He has also stated that he has died once before, giving him the ability to speak with the dead.

I assume Akito is linked with who seems to be our main antagonist, Xin Hyuuga Xian (the name Hyuuga is common to both, so they may be related). I wasn't expecting Geass to make any appearance in this OVA, but it looks like it has manifested in Xin, as he displays a power identical to Lelouch (although the exact specs may be different). It makes me wonder if Akito is cursed like Suzaku with a command that draws out his power.

I have to say...the show really seems to be lacking in music. I really miss the soundtrack of the original series...most of the background music I hear is pretty lackluster in comparison. The fights look pretty cool, but the Knightmares might be a little bit too shadowed. It looks a bit strange...maybe I'm just not used to it?

So far, there really aren't too many links to the original series in this OVA. There is mention of the Black Knights and the appearance of Geass, but nothing too nostalgic other than the way the show starts (with the cicadas, then female narrator). However, the preview for the second episode shows scenes of CC and Suzaku, which are incredibly enticing. Is CC the one that gave Xin his power? Or is there a third person with the immortal code we don't know about? And what role do CC and Suzaku play in this show? It even looks from the preview like Malcal will be joining the battle too...

Oct. 1, 2012, 4:04 p.m.

I'm more curious about WHO ordered something to Akito. Is it Lelouch or Xin or who? What is the content of the order? :|

Oct. 1, 2012, 4:05 p.m.

uhh...both? :D

Oct. 1, 2012, 4:07 p.m.

Wait, wasn't the command power be executed only once? Or once per every geass user? O_O

Oct. 1, 2012, 4:08 p.m.

well...they never said that each person could only be commanded once...if it isn't a live order, maybe it's a combination of two orders to create a similar effect!!

Oct. 1, 2012, 4:14 p.m.

Two orders :

1) "You must not die!" 2) "You must not live!"

trollface from the two geass users

Oct. 1, 2012, 4:57 p.m.

only an evil alien species would do something like that...

Oct. 1, 2012, 5:08 p.m.

Heartseed!Heartseed!Heartseed!Heartseed!Heartseed!Heartseed!Heartseed!Heartseed!Heartseed!Heartseed!Heartseed!Heartseed! :O

Oct. 1, 2012, 8:52 p.m.

right...Heartseed was who I was going for...nothing to do with a silly mascot character for little girls

• Sjcman

Oct. 2, 2012, 12:24 p.m.

My take on it.

Like you said music was really lacking. The soundtrack of the original series was so much better, but maybe this will change.

1. Xin - Since this occuring during the period between the black rebellion and round 2 we know the following.

CC is searching for Lelouch we infer from R2 episode 1 VV is still alive Suzaku knows about Geass and is searching for CC

So we can assume Xin got his geass in one of two ways

1. He got it from CC - unlikely barring a time skip. CC made it fairly clear in the series that Mao was the last person she contracted before Lelouch.

2. That leads me to conclude that VV gave geass to Xin - possibly as a geass cult experiment. What makes this even mor elikely is that the geass cult was found in the chinese federation where I assume Xin is from due to the Orient comment.

3. Xin's Geass - we can assume it is not an absolute obedience geass for two reasons.

A. There was no direct order for Manfried to kill himself. B. Akito in a manner similar to Suzaku has been affected by geass at some point, and assuming its Xin - since we know Lelouch did not go to the EU or Chinese Fed until R2, then we can assume it has something to do with the nature of death given what Akito said and the effects of the geass witnessed so far (suicide, suicidal risks by taking on a knightmare frame, going on a killing spree)

I also doubt, since the author made it pretty clear in the series that geass is unique to the person's desire, that they will go back and give Xin and absolute obedience geass especially with Lelouch still technically alive.

The most important thing tho was the preview. My CC is finally back! Oh I how I missed her! Its been too damn long and cannot wait to see what role she plays in this. Really hope it is not a time skip thing tho.

Oct. 2, 2012, 12:34 p.m.

I agree that VV is a much more likely candidate, but I had to stop myself from spoiling anything in the original series since it isn't too related, right? Then again, Mao was Chinese...so...trend for CC??

yeah, but I expected Geass to be a little bit more unique than that...

I'm not expecting CC to have much more than a nostalgia role with minor appearances, but I wouldn't mind being surprised.

Sjcman

Oct. 2, 2012, 5:09 p.m.

Well here is my interpretation of CC's role

1.Flashback scenario - while its possible, it does not make sense. While we don't know how old Xin is, I dont find him to be too much older than Mao so for CC to give him Geass wouldnt add up since she would have been with Mao and if Mao was her last contract prior to lelouch than Xin is out. Furthermore if it was Xin, I do not understand why CC would abandon the contract as it does not seem Xin has gone crazy or even fully realized his geass. However, given the writing staff we are dealing with i won't rule it out.

1. CC's has a role in present events. This is plausible for the following reasons.

2. After round 1, CC is on the run. The black knights are scattered and Lelouch is missing during this time period. It would make sense for CC to escape to the EU until she can regroup and find Lelouch.

3. Suzaku is shown on a train in the preview. If we look at the post first season facts we know that Suzaku A. knows about the existence of geass, B. is a knight of round, C. probably has been sent to track and search for CC for the emperor. As a result, if we assume both are there presently, we assume CC is in the EU to evade capture and Suzaku is in hot pursuit. However it is possible that Suzaku is there to aid in the war.

4. No one else on the show currently has a geass and I have a suspicion that someone will be contracted. Other than VV, CC is the only possible contractor. She will either contract someone or help Akito/Leila deal with Geass.

Oct. 2, 2012, 5:14 p.m.

Hmm...very plausible. It's very true that she could be letting things cool down before she attempts to rescue Lelouch. I would expect her to have the more flashback role, but you never know with these things. Does Suzaku know about CC's role yet? I suppose he would, but I'm just not sure if he'd be searching for her. I'm having trouble figuring out whether this stuff is what I want to happen or what I think is most likely to happen.

Sjcman

Oct. 4, 2012, 1:16 p.m.

Well what id like to happen is a more active role for CC. What would make more sense is for CC to have an active role. What geass will do is probably the opposite of what makes sense so im sensing flashback even though I really hope not. Seriously CC, imho, was what made geass such a great show. Lelouch too, but him alone wouldnt have been enough.

My reasoning Suzaku knowing is

1. its confirmed in r2 that he knows of the existence of CC.
    2. the emperor sent a squadron with the purpose of capturing her in episode one of r2.

I wouldnt be entirely sure if Suzaku is specifically searching for her rather than just doing his duty as a knight of round and helping out in the EU, but I cant rule it out either. Also it would add a very interesting sublayer to the plot if both had an active role.

Oct. 4, 2012, 1:25 p.m.

The show seems to give me the sense that they are trying to avoid being too similar to the original series. The Knightmares are different, the Lelouch and Suzaku clones are introduced almost like replacements, soundtrack has no familiarity, etc. It makes me really feel like CC's role will be de-emphasized. My argument would probably be similar for Suzaku.

• Sjcman

Oct. 4, 2012, 4:52 p.m.

Fair enough, I can agree there, despite my desire to see more CC.

Oct. 4, 2012, 4:53 p.m.

I definitely understand...I just have to look at the facts