Accel World Episode 4

So, I guess a lot happened this week, mostly in the form of two big reveals. First off, we have the confession of Kuroyukihime. There had only been hints to it before, but this week she suddenly started becoming overly jealous of Haru and Chiyu, what with the shorter cable and the reaction to his being in Chiyu's room. So why would a confession occur so early in a series? Well, it would have to be because something throws a wrench into the relationship (in this case a car). While the confession was sweet and all (and Haru actually said what he thought instead of being a wimp), I have to pick at it. Yeah, it looks like she's saying that she admired him as the one with the potential to reach level 10, but it also looked to me like she was saying that she liked him because she saw that he was really good at video games.

With that done, the second big reveal is Taku as Cyan Pile...naturally, that makes sense (I had a big analysis last week about why I thought that was the case). Haru looked up to him too much. That character is only there if Haru is forced to surpass him at some point, so he has to be somehow related to Brain Burst. Big reveals aside, I question the Physical Full Burst function as a whole. Why is it a big deal if a level 9 loses 99% of their points? If I remember correctly, they have to win against five level 9 players to reach level 10, so why do points even matter anymore? Especially since they lose them all if they lose one match.

So why do they save Physical Full Burst? Why not just use it whenever they want? The only thing I can think of is that accelerating the body like that would naturally put a lot of strain on it, but they never really mention this. Anyway, next week will be the fight between Taku and Haru. It will likely have a lot of explanation from Taku (how he's not as perfect as he seems and blah blah). I like this fight for a simple reason. Haru actually has something to lose if he doesn't win. In the earlier fights, it didn't seem like a big deal if he lost, but now there's actually a reason. Anyways, looking forward to it.

• Captain Hammer

April 28, 2012, 5:25 p.m.

I know it was explained but I still don't see what Kuroyukihime sees in pig boy. Is she a chubby chaser?

April 28, 2012, 5:26 p.m.

based on what I got, it was that she admired his abilities in the virtual world and saw him as someone that had the potential to become level 10

April 28, 2012, 7:53 p.m.

I like the darker themes that are popping up now.

I got an evil vibe from Taku at the start so I'm glad I was right in assuming he would turn evil. I just thought it might be a bit later.

Is it just me or was Kuroyukihime moving even though time was frozen really cool. That's about the most badass thing I can see a character doing whilst time is frozen.

April 28, 2012, 7:57 p.m.

yeah...dark themes work for this kind of show

ehh...I guess. I still don't see any downside of using the Physical Full Burst other than the obvious physical implications

• fabrice

April 29, 2012, 5:08 a.m.

Well with all the build up and 2 boring episodes in between this better be a good fight. I've been waiting for a while to see some more badass fights.

But Haru is just terrible. The hypocrisy of this dude when he was talking to Kuroyuki. Glad she smacked him up a bit. Unfortunately, I can't even begin to take this whole romance angle seriously. That kiss with the pig avatar? lol

April 29, 2012, 10 a.m.

well, we'll see about these fights...

yeah, really hard to take that guy seriously...but we kinda knew that from the start

April 29, 2012, 3:15 p.m.

You had the same question as me, why would they save the physical Full Burst if no bad side-effect occur? It just doesn't make much sense...

April 29, 2012, 3:15 p.m.

if the physical strain is the side effect, they need to say that. You can't assume physics in anime >.> everyone knows this

April 29, 2012, 3:18 p.m.

Unless specified is speculation. I mean its sci-fi at this point so they may even defy physics...:D

April 29, 2012, 3:21 p.m.

yup...I would even argue that you should always assume the opposite of what physics would suggest in anime